Tuesday, March 17, 2009

All those Romance languages are the same...

This happened years ago, but I was just reminded of it. When I was still an undergrad I taught French 101 at my university. My students had to complete several cultural activities throughout the semester and turn in write-ups about what they learned. I'm a little fuzzy on the details but I think one of the possibilities was to read an article in French about a topic that interested them. They had to print out the article along with their write-up.

One of my students, Lu, was not the most serious of students. He came to my office to turn in his cultural assignments during reading days because he hadn't finished them on time. Here's how it went:

Lu: Hi, Ms..... (looking at the instructor's mailboxes trying to remember my name.) H!

Me: Really? You don't remember my name?

Lu: Ha, ha! Here's my assignment.

Luckily I took a minute to glance over them before I let him leave. I saw his article:

Me: Lu, is this the article you read?

Lu: Yup, that's the one!

Me: It must have been pretty hard to understand.

Lu: Yeah.

Me: Since it's in Italian.

Lu: What?!

Needless to say, he did not receive credit for that assignment. But apparently there were no hard feelings because he invited me to his baptism the next semester!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so funny, I didn't realize that you taught french at byu. That is cool!

Jessica said...

Nice. I was once told by a Spanish instructor at BYU that I had an Italian accent speaking Spanish. Go figure. I just thought my accent was bad.