Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Forgery

Last year I caught a student playing his gameboy in my class, so I took it away. I told him he could have it back when I got a note from his mom. He decided it would be more painful to lose the gameboy than tell his mom. Near the end of the year he kept asking for it back and I always said, "When I get a note from your mom." I kept the gameboy all summer. I don't have him in class this year but he still comes by to ask for it. A few weeks ago, he came by with this:


My favorite things:
1. He got the year wrong
2. The numerous corrections
3. While you can't see it, he used my first name so it would appear more legitimate
4. "Sincerely, my mom"
I love when they do stuff like this! This kid just asked me for a college recommendation (yes, he's a senior) and he started by saying, "I thought about all 21 teachers I've had in high school and none of them like me. So..." I told him I might write a more favorable recommendation if he got a note from his mom....
PS I was telling another student about this and instead of saying "I took away his gameboy" I accidentally said, "I took away his Playboy." Now that would be a different story altogether!

6 comments:

shelleyjanae said...

Thank you for sharing that. I love it. I think if/when you write his letter you should use the same language he used- "it has been revealed to me" And make sure they know he gets depressed if he doesn't have his "precious game boy". ha ha.
I love that "his Mom" titled it "Legit Letter".
Any college should be proud to have him!

Thanks for making my week!!

Steph said...

oh my goodness I am laughing so hard. That is AWESOME!
I almost like the kid...unless he really thought he was tricking you. Then he is just dumb.
Definitely a classic. :)

SuburbiaMom said...

I cannot believe he tried to get away with signing it "my mom"! I'm so glad that it wasn't a playboy!!

Jenica said...

Don't worry, he was not trying to seriously pass this off as a note from his mom! It was a joke!

Kiersten, I would not be able to handle it if I had to take a Playboy away from a student. There would be some seriously flipping out!

Mary said...

That is AWESOME! Though I think I liked the note better when I imagined he was actually trying to pass it off as a real note from his mom :)

Bridger Field said...

BTW this is Erin (McBride) Field's husband. I LOVE it! The funny thing is, not knowing what grade you taught, when I saw the hand writing, scratches, etc. I thought it was an over educated elementary student. Then I continued to read the rest of your blog and your comments about the note and died laughing even more. I think that is going to be the funniest thing I've heard all year.