Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Parents: Volume 3

Parent-Teacher Conferences. The thorn in my side. My first year of teaching I think I had maybe five parents show up for parent-teacher conferences. Then I changed jobs to a school in a much wealthier area. Now I have a constant stream of parents wondering how on earth their child could be getting a B+ and can they please turn in their late work and retake that quiz worth five points? In all honesty, most of the parents are very nice even if all they care about are grades. My first year at this school I had a 7th period class that was a handful. They gave birth to a new adjective: "7th period". So, when students are being really rowdy, you just tell them "OK, you're being really 7th period right now, it's time to calm down." We often play little vocabulary and grammar games in my class and I punished the entire class for a while by not playing any games. Enter Andrew's mother:

Mother: So, I hear you punished the entire class.

Me: Yes, we won't be playing any games in class until they can behave better.

Mother: Between you and me, Andrew doesn't really like your games.

Me: Well, yes, he let me know that but other students seem to like them. [What a surprise that he was so free with his opinion]

Mother: Maybe you could have some activities that incorporate the culture into the classroom that would make it more interesting. Like something with "American Idol".

Me[confused look] : [Is she honestly trying to give me advice? In what way does "American Idol" incorporate FRENCH culture into my classroom? Should I have a singing competition? What?!]

Mother: [Uncomfortably change topic to Andrew's poor grade]

I would just like to make it clear that my games are pretty much awesome. My students beg to play them. This kid was too cool for school and I can pretty much guarantee he would not have enjoyed an "American Idol" activity. Shock of all shocks, he did not continue in French.

No comments: