My French 4 students do a project wherein they must present a famous person from French History to the class. They must "be" the person, which includes dressing up. I have actually been quite impressed with some of their costumes. Here's a sampling from last year:
Emile Zola
Napoleon Bonaparte
Guillaume le Conquérant (William the Conqueror)
Cardinal Richelieu
I would just like to point out the homemade nature of most of these costumes. Even the fancy cardinal didn't pay any money to dress up.
Anyway, one of my students, Christophe, was not the most diligent of students. He had suffered a brain injury some years previous which affected his concentration but the kid was not really about effort. He asked me in class if, instead of dressing up as the person, he could draw what the person looked like on a poster. I immediately said no, as that would open up a whole can of worms of kids not wanting to dress up. He acted annoyed but did not pursue it any further.
One morning a few days later, I arrived at school to see a woman waiting outside my classroom. Christophe's mother. Because right before school is just the perfect time to discuss something with your child's teacher. She proceeded to tell me how I was not accommodating Christophe's disabilities with the project (it's always good to attack right away and assume the teacher doesn't want to help your child. It has nothing to do with the fact that she has 150 students to keep track of). We cleared that up fairly easily but then the subject of the costume came up. She showed me the "poster" that he had mentioned:
While I am 99.99999% certain that he did not make that himself (or even helped), it is a perfectly acceptable alternative to actually dressing up. Before I could tell her that I had no problem with the poster, she says....
We're trying to save for Chris to go to college, we can't afford to pay for a Napoleon costume."
2 comments:
Awesome costumes! Your class sounds great!
Just last week my 5th grader, Sydney, got all dressed up to give a presentation about an explorer in her class. Each kid researched one of those dudes, like Columbus - she was Coronado.
It was great! ruffly shirt, puffy bow tie, and some blue pants tucked into her dad's long socks. She even drew on a simple mustace and beard with eyeliner.
The best part is that she is generally kind of shy, so the dressing up was hard for her, but she did it!
sorry about that crazy mom. I never do that kind of thing.....(I hope)
Hil-ar-ious.
Yeah, that paper costume is pretty fancy drawing...
I like the shaving cream beard kid too. Funny.
Love your blog!
Post a Comment