Saturday, February 20, 2010

Boys

Here are some random interactions I've been having with my students:

#1
We'll call the first student Matthew. I'm sure Matthew will be a perfectly nice person in 20 years but right now he is a pill. After an unexpected break from school, I had the following conversation with him:

Me: I haven't seen you in two weeks, you've been in class for two minutes and you're already getting on my nerves. (Sometimes I think I need to work on my filter with my students)

Matthew: It was only a week and a half.

I'm glad I was able to make my point.

#2
Let's call the second student José. José is a nice kid but L-A-Z-Y. I called on several students to write some homework answers on the board. As soon as I called on the last student, José blurted out, "I love you for not calling on me!!"

Love?! Wow! Can I somehow translate this to my dating life? What is the dating equivalent of not calling on someone?

#3
I got a new student who is from South Korea. He had lived in England for awhile so he speaks some English. On the first day he was in my class he came up to me, pointed to my poster for the movie, "Paris, je t'aime" and said, "You know, that is not a French movie." I said, "I know, but it's about France." Take a minute and think about an appropriate response. Got one? Was it "In England they say 'Frahnce'" ? No? Because that was the response that I got. I've only had this kid in class twice and he's been consistently awkward. And I caught him digging for some serious gold.

No comments: