Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I have no street cred


My students were working on a writing assignment.

Student: Mademoiselle, can you read this sentence and tell me if it makes sense?

Me: Sure. "Il a pris neuf comme cinquante." What are you trying to say in English?

Student: He took nine like fifty.

Me: That doesn't make any sense in English.

Student: Yes it does. He took nine like fifty!

Me: I have no idea what you are saying!

Student: He took nine like fifty.

Female Student: Obviously she doesn't know rap!

Me: Rap? Oh, like 50 cent? I see! [trying to act cool] Fitty cent!

Female Student: Please don't ever do that again.

Me: He took nine what like 50 cent?

Class: [Look of disdain]

Me: I'm guessing bullets?

Class: [Relief / Incredulity at my naiveté]

For the rest of the year "Il a pris neuf comme cinquante" showed up in every story in that class.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I would never make it on the "streets" if I needed to know what that meant. I'm still unsure...

Jessica said...

I have no idea what that means, and I would have been way behind even on the 50 cent reference.

Your stories are so funny, I am glad you are sharing them.