Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My thug


French classes tend to be fairly thug-free. Most of the slacker delinquents take Spanish and the kids who don't shower and may or may not one day shoot up the school tend to take German. I'm used to nerdy over-achievers so the presence of a thug last year was a tad shocking. I knew from day one; If only her walking in late had been the only clue....

Me [going over syllabus]: You can go to the bathroom two times each quarter...

Thugette: What?!?!?! Only two times???

Me: That's what breaks are for and we also have lunch in the middle of class. If you do not have your assignment notebook, you may not go to the bathroom...

Thugette: What?!?!?!? I can't use somebody else's?

Me: Are you already planning on forgetting your planner?

Thugette [unconvincingly] : No.....

A few minutes later:

Thugette: Can I go to the bathroom?

****************

Random moment in class:

Thugette: Are we allowed to have crazy piercings in school?

****************

Students are participating in a get-to-know you activity with a partner. They are trying to find similarities and differences with each other.

Thugette: Ummmm, I've been to six different schools in the past six years...

Sweet, innocent girl: Wow. Did you move a lot?

Thugette: No, I got kicked out of one school, then we moved....

(FYI: This girl is a Freshman)

****************

I am introducing myself to the class

Me: I'm the youngest of nine kids....

Thugette: My sister is 26 and has six kids!

She lasted about a month in my class.

1 comment:

wendy said...

Hi! Mary's roomy! Your blog is totally cracking me up. I should be at the grocery store stocking up but I am stuck here reading reading reading!

your thug is totally awesome! can I go to the bathroom?

and I love your language student classification guide! They only offer Spanish, Japanese and Hawaiian at Hannah's high school. no french. I wonder what it means....